Friday, May 20, 2011

Home (as opposed to a legal) Remedy

So, I'm a recent law school graduate and I'm looking for any distraction in order to keep from thinking about the impending bar exam. I'm also broke, which leads me to my current home experiment.

As of late, I've become more and more interested in beauty products. As a teenager, I rarely even washed off my makeup at night, but two years ago I noticed that my skin looked like it belonged to a tired law student. I started moisturizing, became obsessive about sunscreen, focused on the eye area.

I'm looking for inexpensive, but effective (and natural) remedies to add to my beauty routine. Tonight, I used olive oil. And judging by how great I already feel, I will definitely use it again.

I didn't want to do anything too fancy or complicated. I like simplicity and if I had to mix this and measure that, I doubt I'd ever try it again. I simply mixed some granulated sugar and EVOO into a paste and slathered it onto my face. I rubbed it around to sluff off day old skin and then I left it there for about 10 minutes. Afterwards, I rubbed about 1/4 of a cup of EVOO into my hair (I have above shoulder hair) and then combed it through. I had read that olive oil was good for adding shine to the hair, keeping dandruff at bay, and helping to regrow hair. I have PCOS and I've noticed in the past several years that my hair is thinning, so I hope this last part rings true. I wrapped my hair up in a towel and left it for 15 minutes and then washed it out with regular shampoo. I noticed as a exited the bath tub, that my skin on my legs and arms felt great because they had soaked in olive oil water. My face feels phenomenal. I cannot believe it!

On the down side, I had painted my nails about 6 hours before the bath and it looks like the olive oil is so effective that my polish is literally sliding off. Small price to pay.

I can't wait to try avocado and coconut on my hair next!

This picture is from the next morning. My hair definitely had extra shine. I didn't style my hair in any way. I let it air dry until almost completely dry and then used the blow dryer for about 10 seconds to seal the deal. I brushed and went out the door.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooops!
    Here is your first post (thought is was the one about the facials)!! I have to say this sounds like something to try!
    Your Cousin in the Lovliest Villlage

    ReplyDelete