Sunday, May 22, 2011

Fried Chicken on a Sunday

Is there anything more homey than a Sunday picnic with fried chicken? David and I are off for an afternoon picnic in the mountains to celebrate our anniversary. For the occasion, I made the ultimate picnic food: fried chicken. A remedy to kick off picnic season.

I started with my seasoned flour mixture. I added salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder to my mixture. My semi secret is that I add a bit of turmeric and ground mustard for added flavor . Next, I dip chicken thighs into a buttermilk and egg mixture.  I usually use chicken thighs and wings for picnics because they are easier to eat. After coating, I rolled the chicken around in the flour mix I usually double coat, but I didn't today to save carbs. The big trick to good fried chicken is to fry it in a cast iron pan, have your oil scalding hot, and to resist the temptation to turn the chicken too often. The oil has to be really, REALLY hot. And turning the chicken too often will cause you to lose your flour coat.







I also made a German potato salad to go with our chicken. My sister turned me on to this delicious dish. I like to use blue or purple potatoes, but all Kroger had were baby reds. Heat some EVOO in a skillet, put in your potato slices and some onion. Add salt and pepper. After some time, I added some diced bacon to the mix. For something different, I threw in some brussel sprouts. I've never done this before, so it could make or break the dish. Finish by pouring in some apple cider vinegar.



No comments:

Post a Comment